About us and the boat

About us and the boat:

We were lucky enough to retire early at the start of 2013 so we could head off and "live the dream" on board our Nordhavn 47 Trawler Yacht. The idea is to see some of the planet, at a slow 6 - 7 knots pace. There are no fixed goals or timings, we just had a plan to visit Scotland and then probably the Baltic before heading south.

The idea is to visit the nicer areas in these latitudes before heading south for warmer weather. If we like somewhere, we will stay for a while. If not, we will just move on. So, for the people who love forward planning and targets, this might seem a little relaxed!

If anyone else is contemplating a trawler yacht life, maybe our experiences will be enough to make you think again, or maybe do it sooner then you intended!

The boat is called Rockland and she is built for long distance cruising and a comfortable life on board too. If you want to see more about trawler yachts and the Nordhavn 47 in particular, there is a link to the manufacturers website in our "useful stuff" section. For the technically minded, there is a little info and pictures of the boat and equipment in the same section

Regards

Richard and June

Sunday 13 July 2014

Patrick and Bronwen's correspondence continues, worryingly

The rather strange relationship between Patrick the penguin and the new love of his life, Bronwen the spaniel, seems to continue. We managed to hack into his mail account again and found this little exchange:


Hi again Bron

Well, life has been pretty exciting recently. Apart from missing you of course... On Anglesey at a lovely spot called Beaumaris, I saw your boat. I looked ever so hard but you were not on it though. Disappointing as you were not in your Saundersfoot shop either. I've added a picture to the email for you just in case you were hiding in the lockers and that is why I could not see you.

Then, the **** guardians read your last email. They keep hacking my account (I think they don't trust me yet, no idea why) and because your nice daddy said the Isle of Man was good, they brought me to Peel. Funny how the woman is allowed here too though. In fact there were some nice women about in the sun yesterday when we arrived. I like it here! Lovely harbour and I have a great view out to the Castle and footbridge. Lots to keep my little brain occupied and new sights and smells too. In fact, she is cooking fish right now and that makes me very focussed - now is Wednesday evening. Bet I don't get any though.

I have to rely on them to send this sometime though as there is no WIFI here. they have talked about "the pub" as a solution to this. I thought that the pub was a solution to everything. Perhaps I am wrong. I doubt it though, I reckon I have this human being thing sorted now. All I have to do is look sad and cute then I can do anything I want (or not do as the case might be). I learned this from you of course.

As it is July now, are you off on the white wobbly boat?? Coming to the Isle of Man to play? I think we are here for a few days, the guardians want to do something called "the touristy stuff". Bet that involves the pub.

Hugs and love from Peel

Patrick xx




Part of Bronwen's response:

Hiya Patrick,
My dad has gone all sloppy cos your in Peel. He spent many a happy time there with the scouts and beyond, whatever that means. The steam train used to stop there but he doesn't know if it still does. 
Enjoy the place. It's lovely and peaceful and quaint. I have no idea what he's on about but he says he'll take me there one day. 
In the mean time we may be going to.... The Menai Straits next week to deliver a tug to Bristol. Don't know if I can do three days on a boat in one go. It plays havoc with my bowels but we will see





And what did our wayward penguin say to this? Well:

Hi Bron
A sloppy dad is a worrying thought. Is he crying over old pictures or drinking alone in the evening? Either way, think you should watch him carefully as it isn't good if you end up with guardians. I wonder why my mum and dad didn't want to keep me? Perhaps they didn't know just what a sweetie I am.

Peel is lovely. Apparently the rest of the island is too but I haven't been taken along to see everything. Seems that you always get invited out and I never do. Perhaps I can find a way to come and live with you and have more fun. Trying to get posted to you didn't work but maybe I can find another way.

The guardians came back from a place called Castletown yesterday and said it was lovely. Today the posters say it is a holiday for Tynwald. Not met him yet. They seem to be plotting to leave on Wednesday for Ardfern. I went there last year and it was great.

3 days underway on a tug? You had better stop eating and drinking like me. Otherwise your holding tank will get very full and smelly. Is the tug as wobbly as the white boat?? I think you should force dad to take you on holiday now - or is he having too much fun with French teachers on the yellow boat? I'm still upset that he didn't want me as a skipper. I think that I would be very good and if you were my crew, we could attract lots of passengers and some more cute French teachers. Of course I only have two bright little eyes for you though.

Cuddles from Peel
Patrick   xxx


Clearly Patrick still has some issues that we need to work through. Although in human terms he is approaching the "terrible twos" it could just be that in penguin years, he is a horrid teenager.... 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your ideas / cheek / corrections / whatever! They should hit the blog shortly after the system checks them to make sure they will not put us or you in jail.....