About us and the boat

About us and the boat:

We were lucky enough to retire early at the start of 2013 so we could head off and "live the dream" on board our Nordhavn 47 Trawler Yacht. The idea is to see some of the planet, at a slow 6 - 7 knots pace. There are no fixed goals or timings, we just had a plan to visit Scotland and then probably the Baltic before heading south.

The idea is to visit the nicer areas in these latitudes before heading south for warmer weather. If we like somewhere, we will stay for a while. If not, we will just move on. So, for the people who love forward planning and targets, this might seem a little relaxed!

If anyone else is contemplating a trawler yacht life, maybe our experiences will be enough to make you think again, or maybe do it sooner then you intended!

The boat is called Rockland and she is built for long distance cruising and a comfortable life on board too. If you want to see more about trawler yachts and the Nordhavn 47 in particular, there is a link to the manufacturers website in our "useful stuff" section. For the technically minded, there is a little info and pictures of the boat and equipment in the same section

Regards

Richard and June

Monday 28 July 2014

Patrick's love child

We thought that title might get your attention....

So, now you are engrossed, here is an email that Patrick received from Bronwen his spaniel friend:

Dear Patrick.
We may have a problem. I found this little chap in my bed this morning. He's very clever for one so young and is already demanding a sailing trip so we are off tomorrow for Milford haven. I like it there.
Dad says something about maintenance money for my extra food now he has another mouth to feed.
It was fun when we snuck away together that afternoon just before you left wasn't it and your guardians never even noticed.
Dad also says I can use this email account cos he can't get the other one to do pictures.
Don't get too cosy and cwtchy with that Linda one. You have responsibilities now
Xxxx
Bron
Ps we did the yacht club sailing thing yesterday. Dad has taught me how to clear a very fouled anchor. It looked terribly hard work so I had to have a lie down after.




What do you think our intrepid penguin did when he saw this? Well, initially he was overjoyed and excited. Then he seemed concerned and then downright worried. So worried in fact that he finally asked our opinion - a first on anything!!!

He was a little worried that some of the facts didn't tally......

Hi Bron (or should I say Steve???)

I am really worried now - I think that your dad has hacked into your email account and is sending me emails pretending to be you.

When I first read your mail I was so excited!! The thoughts of having a family and settling down with you, escaping from the guardians etc etc were just wonderful. Then I got worried. How did we make this baby? I didn't remember going shopping with you for him / her or getting a DIY baby kit complete with knitting needles etc. 

I thought it was time to confess to my guardians and ask them about the penguin / spaniel facts of life. What I learnt was very worrying though. Apparently making babies isn't a simple matter of using my pocket money in a shop. We have to do other things and for some reason a little young penguin like me isn't fertile yet. I have no idea what fertile means but it seems to stop us knitting a baby for some reason.

My first thought was, I am sorry to admit, that you were tricking me. Then I realised that you were too kind and nice to do that. Then I realised that in your (your Dad's??) email it mentioned that he wanted maintenance payments. It became clear. I looked up the Penguin Support Agency on the internet as I had heard about the Child Support Agency on the radio. When I did that, PSA sounded very nasty though, all to do with some disease. 

So, the answer is obvious. Your dad is trying to get me to send him my pocket money under false pretences. Please get a new email account soon and mail me from that so I know it is really you.....

Very upset and worried (loosing some fur over this despite Linda's cwtch therapy)

Patrick

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your ideas / cheek / corrections / whatever! They should hit the blog shortly after the system checks them to make sure they will not put us or you in jail.....