About us and the boat

About us and the boat:

We were lucky enough to retire early at the start of 2013 so we could head off and "live the dream" on board our Nordhavn 47 Trawler Yacht. The idea is to see some of the planet, at a slow 6 - 7 knots pace. There are no fixed goals or timings, we just had a plan to visit Scotland and then probably the Baltic before heading south.

The idea is to visit the nicer areas in these latitudes before heading south for warmer weather. If we like somewhere, we will stay for a while. If not, we will just move on. So, for the people who love forward planning and targets, this might seem a little relaxed!

If anyone else is contemplating a trawler yacht life, maybe our experiences will be enough to make you think again, or maybe do it sooner then you intended!

The boat is called Rockland and she is built for long distance cruising and a comfortable life on board too. If you want to see more about trawler yachts and the Nordhavn 47 in particular, there is a link to the manufacturers website in our "useful stuff" section. For the technically minded, there is a little info and pictures of the boat and equipment in the same section

Regards

Richard and June

Wednesday 16 July 2014

The Craobh eclipse and escaping penguins

You know it is going to be "one of those days" when you wake up just as the shipping forecast starts on Radio 4. You know that you were right when you hear "there are warnings of gales in sea area Malin". Yes, just Malin. Guess where we are?

OK, maybe not the hardest quiz question in the world. Still, the blow and rain were expected and so we had nothing planned. Then the light (or what little there was) vanished - on the hammerhead berth alongside us a MONSTER Nordhavn arrived. Yup, a 76 which has spent 7 years trundling around America, across to the Pacific Islands, Fiji, New Zealand, back to the USA and came across the Atlantic to Plymouth then Bangor (Northern Ireland) a couple of months ago. 7 years and 52,000 miles of wandering about the planet under her keel. If you want to see her, go to the Southampton boat show this September - lovely boat. Not sure if we want to take on all that extra polishing though...

Here are some stolen pictures of her in other locations:
















The Nordhavn quota here has increased by 50%. We now look very very insignificant. For an idea of just how insignificant have a look at Nordhavn 76 brochure (remembering that this one is a Forward Pilothouse model, FPH)

This pic was taken by the N76 owner, Richard and the eagle eyed sad Nordhavn addicts will spot all 3 of us:



As a penance for coveting the 76, the captain did some long overdue engine room cleaning. The smell of Gunk is so appealing. Patrick was clearly excited by the new arrival. We thought this was really quite nice - he is now old enough to recognise Nordhavns and seems to like them. Again, we mis-read his motivation though. The truth came out when we had to stop him clambering on board the 76. He wouldn't confess as to why but this email he sent to Bronwen probably explains it:

Hi Bron

I am very upset now - those guardian thingies have hacked into my email again and put copies of our secret exchanges onto their blog thing. Even worse, they took pictures of me when I was trying to get some food and used those too. They did add a picture of you which was rather nice though, that one with the paintbrush.

They have brought me to a place called Craobh and this morning a HUGE Nordhavn boat came in alongside us. It looks very posh, the label on the side says "Nordhavn 76". I wish I lived on that one. The man seems very nice and comes from Northern Ireland - I liked it there. Wonder if I could jump ship when no-one is looking. I bet they would feed me and care for me properly as they have so much space and she is very smiley. Will let you know how I get on organising my escape.

Are you in Bristol now? The radio kept on saying strong wind warnings so I thought that your holding tank might be getting wobbled about almost as much on the tug as on the little white boat. I hope you kept everything under control OK.

I heard my guardians talking about Linda coming on Sunday. She gives me a nice cwtch. If I run away to the big boat I will miss her of course. I am not sure what to do - perhaps I should wait for Linda then sneak in her bag when she leaves? What do you think?

Big Scottish hugs (no cwtch here)

Patrick xx


When confined to his cabin he was most upset but cheered up when he got this email from Linda (I will not explain who is who any more, read the earlier posts on Falmouth / Skomer for revealing pictures if you cannot recall her):



Hi Patrick,

I wouldn't bother with the Nordhavn 76 - yes she is a lot bigger but, your guardians would have to spend much longer cleaning her; and I feel you would be neglected more than you are now - you would become very depressed spending much longer in your own company ... no forget it.

Smuggling yourself in my bag on the other hand sounds like a brilliant idea - fair play you wouldn't have any trouble, as I will help you big time! Remember the fun we had on the rib? Wow I could cwtch you to your hearts content - we would both be happy.

I am really looking forward to seeing you on Sunday - sorry you will have to wait until late evening, it's a long way from Weymouth to Oban; but I don't mind as it will be worth it to be in your company again.


....... I will have a little nap on the train so I won't be too tired to give you a big cwtch. Can you put the kettle on when I arrive, as I will be in need of a nice cup of tea ... thank you my cuddly friend. 

Love Linda xx

You now have to judge who is the most demented of all these correspondents. Our money is on the penguin, or perhaps the spaniel. All comments will be happily received and duly ignored.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your ideas / cheek / corrections / whatever! They should hit the blog shortly after the system checks them to make sure they will not put us or you in jail.....